The September 2, 2020 ZOOM Video General Meeting was called to order by Bill Harwell at 7:02 PM.
CVARS Board Nominations:
- No Centralia ARES meeting on Labor Day, 9/7. The 9/21 meeting will be outdoors.
- Salmon Run (Washington QSO Party) 9/19-20.
- Next Amateur Radio Test Session 10/17.
- CVARS Board Member Nominations tonight and during the October meeting.
- December CVARS Meeting (12/2) will be via Zoom, no Christmas Pot-Luck dinner.
- President (1 year term): ___
- Vice President (1 year term): ___
- Secretary (1 year term): John Campeau
- Treasurer 2 year term): Bill Knepper
- At Large (2 year term): John Ellingson
Elections will be held via Survey Monkey after the October meeting.
PROGRAM - "DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS - PAST AND PRESENT":
James Van Ornum surveyed the field of Digital Communications starting with ancient
optical telegraphy techniques like the Greek hydraulic telegraph dating back to
the 4th century BC. Wired telegraphy, American Morse code, International Morse code,
the movement to wireless telegraphy, the Western Union Telegraph company and
amateur radio adoption of radio teletype were touched on. James wrapped up with an introduction to modern, computer based digital communication techniques touching on
PSK31, WSJT-X, FT8 and JS8Call.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM. There were 17 people attending.