CVARS Newsletter - April 2011




                MAY MEETING

                CVARS WA7UHD Sunday Night Net Controller Schedule

                FOR SALE




                PRESIDENT'S CORNER

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




When:  Wednesday, May 4, 2011

                6:45 PM Board Meeting

                7:00 PM Social Time

                7:30 PM General Meeting and Program

Where:   Lewis County Fire District 5 Training Building

                115 E Washington St;  Napavine, WA

                Southwest corner of Washington & 2nd Ave;  parking lot entrance is off 2nd Ave

Program: To be announced.

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------


CVARS WA7UHD Sunday Night Net Controller Schedule


The CVARS WA7UHD Net meets Sunday at 8 PM local time on 145.430 MHz -offset 110.9 Hz tone. The net preamble is on the web site under the CVARS Info tab. Net controllers are:

                April 17 - Rita Pratt KE7YAB

                April 24 - Dick Morrison K7KFM

                May    1 - James Van Ornum KG4YWD

                May    8 - Dick Morrison K7KFM

                May 15 - Bill Harwell AC7SR

                May 22 - Larry or Rita Pratt KE7YAC/KE7YAB

                May 29 - Jeff Mayfield KE7ACE

                June   5 - James Van Ornum KG4YWD

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




I have a Yaesu FL2100-B amp that I am selling it puts out around 600 watts.

I would like $350.00 for it, I have the manual that goes with it as well.

It works fine, I just got another amp at the swap meet in Puyallup last weekend, and have limited space so no room to keep it.



--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




I am looking for volunteers to work checkpoints at the 2011 Historic Lewis County Bike Ride.  All you need is a handheld 2M radio, lunch and a chair.  This is a fun event.  The bike riders do all the work and we just watch them go by and keep track of their progress.  The event runs from 7am to 5 pm on Saturday, May 7th.  Pick a time period and I will fit you in.  Please send me your questions and your Tee Shirt size as we receive a shirt from the ride organizers.



Bill Harwell



Editor’s PS: We can use your help with or without a 2 meter handheld radio, especially in the morning when the event starts. We try to staff the checkpoints with two people at each spot.

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




A called board meeting was held March 16, 2011 at Wendy’s in Chehalis to discuss liability insurance for the club. Present were James Van Ornum, Jeff Mayfield, Sharon and John Ellingson, Dick Morrison and Ken Wages.


The following quotes for $1,000,000 liability were presented:

·         $250 -  ARRL sponsored/Marsh U.S. Consumer underwriter

·         $300 minimum - Country Insurance Company

·         $563 minimum - Farmers Insurance Group

·         $500-$600 - Western Heritage

The board voted to accept the ARRL sponsored policy and authorized John Ellingson to write a check for $$250 payable to Marsh U.S. Consumer.


The board decided that it is desirable to have two people sign CVARS checks. John Ellingson will work to get the signature cards updated at Security State Bank so that authorized signatures will be President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.


The board also started a discussion about a budget to understand the club’s income and expenses

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




The board meeting was called to order at 6:42 PM with James Van Ornum, Jeff Mayfield, John Ellingson, Jim Campbell, Dick Morrison and Ken Wages in attendance.


James announced that Linda Morrison has resigned as secretary because she will not be able to come to the CVARS meetings for the foreseeable future. A call for a volunteer will be made at the general meeting. The board will appoint the new secretary to serve the remainder of Linda’s term which expires at the December 2011 meeting.


Budget discussion continued.

·         Does the club need a post office box mailing address? James reported that since the beginning of 2011, there has been no club related mail in the box at the Centralia Post Office. Individuals are using their home address. For example, web domain mail goes to Jeff, Washington State nonprofit registration mail goes to John, liability insurance mail goes to James. The Centralia PO box is paid for through June 2011. By then we need to decide if we need a PO box and where we should rent one. The Centralia box was $112 per year.

·         John reported that the fairground rental for the Swapmeet is $289 this year.

·         John will have a 50/50 during the general meeting.


Swapmeet items:

·         John needs a copy of our new liability insurance certificate to give to the Fair Grounds people. James gave John two copies.

·         Jeff has 8 tables donated by his church. John said he can store them and with these tables, the club keeps the entire table rental fee instead of splitting the fee with the Fair Grounds.


The board meeting adjourned at 7:08 PM.


The general meeting was called to order by James at 7:28 PM with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.

It was announced that Linda resigned as secretary and we need a volunteer to serve the rest of this year. Two new ham operators, Barbara KF7ORJ and Reita KF7ORH, were introduced. Loyann has a new call sign, W7LOY.


Jeff introduced Chuck Verdon, W5KAV, who talked about Field Day which is June 25-26. Call sign will be K7CEM and the setup will be around the picnic shelter. Centralia ARES will have two communications vans with HF transceivers. Other stations can be setup in the area. They use the same Field Day software that we used last year, but they didn’t network the logging computers to check for duplicates while on the air. Evelyn, KE7ACI, is the food contact person and there will be a potluck supper Saturday evening starting at 5 PM.


James lead a discussion about hand held transceivers, including features and cost.


Don, a first time visitor, won the 50/50 pot of $11.


Bill Harwell announced the Lewis County Historical Ride Saturday, May 7. This is an opportunity to help a local organization and to use your communication skills. Contact Bill,, if you can help for part of or for the whole day.


The meeting adjourned and 8:46 PM.

--------------------   --------------------   --------------------




MEETING TOPICS - Jeff Mayfield is responsible for setting up the meeting programs. Let Jeff know what topics you would like covered and volunteer to present a topic. We need some theory and some hands on topics. This list above should start you thinking, and its true - teaching (or presenting) a topic is a good way to learn more about that topic.


73,  James Van Ornum, KG4YWD